Sunday, 1 April 2012

What have you learnt from your audience feedback?

My target audience for my final products are both males and females from 15-25 as the genre of my music video is pop/rock and this is a genre most enjoyed by a younger audience.

Feedback from my audience is a crucial part of the process as it allows me to know not only what my audience want to see within a music video, but also gives me a better idea of what to improve on in relation to my concept ideas and based on the number of drafts I created. This enabled me to make professional looking products to the best of my ability that apply to my genre.

Before starting the creation of my products, I posted a poll on to my blog with five different questions as to obtain information from random members of the public to receive an unbiased view on what people want to see in a music video; this enable me to get a wide range of view of a diverse range of people.

I recorded the results onto a powerpoint, then transferred it to scribd and placed them onto my blog. The results showed that most people would prefer to see a narrative in music videos, so when thinking up my concept my thoughts shifted to a purely narrative based one, despite the results also showing that slightly more people liked the artist to be involved. I did this because I felt the main focus should be on bringing the lyrics to the song alive and helping the audience find meaning to them, rather than idolising the artist.

My results also showed that a large amount of people disliked dialogue to be shown, so I discarded dialogue in my video complete and focused heavily on the way it was shot as this seemed to be important as a result of the poll also.

I feel the poll was a good was to access audience feedback as it was simple and provided such a wide range of people I could not access on my own. However my results showed that most females answered the poll, showing that it’s not guaranteed that a diverse set of people will answer them. Also, this did not give me insight into what my target audience would want as anyone can answer it.

Therefore I did more audience feedback to people in my class who are all within the age and gender range for my target audience and would provide useful information.

Therefore I handed out a few audience feedback sheets to random members of my class so they could write down some feedback in relation to the concept and ideas I had thought up. I also recorded three different members of my class to get some visual feedback too.

I felt the visual feedback was far more effective as it was easier to understand what they meant and I found that I remembered it much easier too. The comments received were all very positive easing my mind to the thought of creating quite a complicated video. But they did give me tips timing, as editing may take a long time, in response to this I planned my video very well and kept to deadlines. However not many comments were given in relation to my advert and digipack.

Due to the success of the video feedback, I did the same in relation to the video for my draft feedback. I recorded three completely different members of my class and asked them what they thought of my video. I was quite happy with the response although they all stated that the shots lasted too long which made them start to get tedious. Due to this, in my final draft I cut the shots down in length and changed them more frequent as to hinder any bordem.

I then recorded the same three students again after they watch my final product, so I was able to see how well they felt I took their advice. All comments in my final piece of audience feedback were positive, and all three were happy with the progress I made due to their comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment